later versions of oracle

$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlrp.sql

joe

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/28/01 03:40PM >>>
Paul,

Lisa has the correct answer - you must recompile all dependent items.
This behavior has been standard since the beginning of PL/SQL.

Actually, if your application could be changed to capture the error, and just call the package a second time, all would be well - that is - the package would be compiled by the call, and be validated.

I would suggest either running the dbms_utility.compile_Schema utility (which I am not a fan of, as it sometimes dies with a recursive sql error) or running the script below which will re-compile all invalid objects within the schema.

hope this helps.

set heading off
set pagesize 5000
set pages 100
set serveroutput on
exec dbms_output.enable(500000);
spool compile.sql
declare
cursor c1 is
  select 'alter ' || object_type || ' ' || object_name || ' compile;' out_line
  from user_objects
  where status='INVALID'
  and object_type in ('PROCEDURE','PACKAGE','FUNCTION','VIEW','TRIGGER')
  order by 1;
begin
 for c1_rec in c1 loop
   dbms_output.put_line(c1_rec.out_line);