You mean

select * from
(
select dept from dept_one <condition for selecting department>
union all
select dept from dept_two <condition for selecting department>
union all
select dept from dept_three <condition for selecting department>
)
where rownum < 2 ;

I am not sure that you will get records from the table in  the same order as
order of select statements. To be sure

select table_number, dept from
(
select '1', dept from dept_one <condition for selecting department>
union all
select '2', dept from dept_two <condition for selecting department>
union all
select '3', dept from dept_three <condition for selecting department>
order by 1
)
where rownum < 2;

Alex Hillman