Maybe the list can have a crack at these.

Jared

Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 18:16:02 +0300

1) Oracle dba admin guide(ch-7) that comes as pdf format under 8.1.6 oracle
documentation cd talks about using these parameters for tuning archiving
(LOG_ARCHIVE_BUFFERS,LOG_ARCHIVE_BUFFER_SIZE) while these parametres have
gone obsolete as per metalink notes even under 8.1.6. I wonder why the
documention is not updated???
Also what alternate params are there, or that we dont tune it?

2) if LOG_ARCHIVE_MIN_SUCCEED_DEST=2 and we are duplexing archived logs,
then what happens if one location cant be written, would oracle hangs or
shutdown or what? if hangs would all trax be contimued normally after we
resolved the issue? do we need to do any recovery?

3) I have a script that was given to me from asktom.oracle.com. I asked
them if there is a way to automate backing of archived logs from disk to
tape and making sure only closed ones gets backedup. The script basically
is a shell script which opens an array of files under arch1 location with
an ls command but minus the last file and then reads the array tp copy each
archived log to a tape or another location. First  I do not understand the
$d part , does ir minus the last file or the last modified file? Also I do
not agree with this logic becuase what happens if there are multiple arch
((n) processes,
would still minus the last file is a good aproach? i dont thin so.
So keeping in view al this, would anyone suggest a pl/sql or anything that
would copy from the arch1 location those archived logs that were closed and
written successfully. Offcourse we could query v$log to see but I want an
automated script?

4) Oracle docu suggests that we should spawn multiple arch(N) processes if
our redo logs are many and to leverage the speed of logwr with arh
processes. But I read a note in metalink saying that in 8.1.6 the deafult
is 1 and no need to explitly set it to 2 or 3 , oracle would auto determine
if there is a need? Is this correct? we have heavy old apps and using 8
redo log groups? what do you suggest?

5) Based on our alert log we found that the log switching follows a sequnce
that is we have 8 redo logs and the witching always follow a patter
(1,4,5,2,3,6,7,8) group#. Why it doesnot follow 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 group#?
thosugh we have created these groups in the same order?

6) Some time we see these errors on a number of occasions but there are no
data error, just a warning, but why these errors appear in the forst place,
how to avoid them
     ORA-1580 signalled during:(here can be any stmtm like witcing rbs on
off etc)

7) It says the the amount of records in v$log, v$archivedlog V$loghist is
determin by maxloghist paramere in control file at the time of creating a
database. Now its all information purpose, suppose we have database running
in arch mode for over a week and we need to do a recovery, how would
control file knows which archived logs to apply if the past info is cycled
in control file?

8) Last question is for write ahead cache, I have posted the question in
metalink and they say it is not recommended due to "not only power failure"
but also there might be data corruptions, constraints violations?
When I submit the question in asktom.oracle.com, It was said to be highly
recommended if there is a redundant power supply and a ups?
Suppose if we have red power supply, would there be other unforeseen
curruptions?
Enabling write ahead cache at JFS unix file systems would greatle aggect
performace and would leverage the cost of these chips which we already have
paid for?
thanks for your time
cheers

Author: Jared Still