Consider that direct path event are the ones involve
in f.e. sort_direct_writes=TRUE in 8.0.X or 7.3.X. In
8i doesn't exist as a parameter. However it is feature
included in the engine with default values for their
buffers. Also insert /*+ APPEND */ or sql*loader
direct=y generates that kind of wait. And I don't
think is bad. Although you should take a look of the
paging. Take into account that this wait doesn't use
the buffer cache.

On the other hand as you said increasing the sort area
size doesn't imply an improvement in sorts
performance. You can say it is a matter of paging.
However it is also a matter of the way Oracle resolves
sorting and the merging with the temp tablespace. As a
renmark if you can avoid all the sorting increasing
the sort area you could feel the improvement.

And in the case of the merging with temp tablespace
refer to the sort_multiblock_read_count 8i parameter

Regards.-
--- Johnson Poovathummoottil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

=====
Eng. Christian Trassens
Senior DBA
Systems Engineer