From: Koivu, Lisa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 10:16 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Sizing a new server - the Alpha Chip

Hi Bruce,

The list has done a good job of giving me warm fuzzies about the alpha.  I did read through those articles describing the demise of the alpha chip.  However, with the size and power of the 8400 I think we'll be OK on this server for at least a few years, if not more.  I figure as long as compaq will support it, we'll be OK for now.  There is also no shortage of resellers for parts.

I have never worked at a company where money was such a huge issue.  Even if I went to my boss and said, We're looking at a migration in a couple of years due to the discontinuation of the alpha chip, let's go IBM, I'd have to pitch a huge budget that would never fly.  Upper management has no confidence in any IT employees.  We have to start somewhere to build some credibility.

Damn... I am really beginning to sound like a manager.  I think I need a girls' night out with Captain Morgan.

So let's ask the entire list:  Does anyone see anything negative coming from compaq's announcement about the alpha?  I really don't see it being a huge problem.  I'd be interested in any comments to the contrary.

Thanks
Lisa Koivu
Oracle DataBored Administrator
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA