Dave,

What's the platform?  NT?

Jared

                    "Farnsworth, Dave"

                    <DFarnsworth@Ashleyfurn       To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    iture.com>                    cc:

                    Sent by:                      Subject:     strt<SID>.cmd security
hole??
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    07/25/01 01:47 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

I inherited an Oracle 7.3.4 database that nobody knew the internal password
for.  So I was doing some research on metalink and came across an article
that mentioned the strt<SID>.cmd file would have the password.  I was
amazed
to open up this file and see the unencrypted password for internal.  I then
check my 8.0.5 database and the same thing.  Then I checked my 8.1.7
database and it was not there.  Did this gaping security hole disappear in
the 8i database?  I sure hope so.
Both the 7.3.4 and 8.0.5 have the remote_login_passwordfile init paramater
set to SHARED, whereas my 8.1.7 is set to EXCLUSIVE.  I don't know if this
has something to do with it.

Thanks,

Dave
Author: Farnsworth, Dave