yea its been around a while, look at

alter database create datafile, in the 817 docs its under the category:

Re-Creating Datafiles when Backups Are Unavailable

joe

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/08/01 03:21PM >>>

I don't know much about this feature, but someone mentioned in 8.1.7 you can recover a datafile even without a backup as long as you have a control file that knew about it and the archive logs.

Anyone give this a try?  I am going to attempt this weekend on my test box.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence  OCP  MCSE MCP A+ RAPTOR CNA
Oracle DBA
Phone: (978) 322-5744
Fax:    (707) 885-2275

Fuelspot