Actually, on my original install, it went one level up from
ORACLE_HOME - e.g, ORACLE_HOME was /dsk001/app/oracle/product/8.1.7;
the OraInventory,oui,jre went into /dsk001/app/oracle/product -
one level up.
Since that's where I tarred/untarred to on the new machine, I
should have the installer info - at least it appears there.
All seems to work fine. I'll keep an eye out when/if patching!

Much and Many thanks for all the responses, I'll sleep easier.

Ed Maurer.

Author: Ed Maurer