1. you need to have an external password file created.
2.  you need to add the userid you want to shutdown the database to that password file by  grant sysdba to username
3.  you might have to change the init.ora file, the remote_login_passwordfile entry.

joe

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 08/14/01 02:56PM >>>

I am using OEM and have connected to my database, a test DB I just
created (my first actually). I can't seem to shut it down.  The
options
to SHUTDOWN are grayed out.  I have connected as SYSTEM and SYS and
the
user I created the DB with!  I went to the enable roles option and
enabled the roles that I could, such as DBA. Would someone explain
what
I am missing, even if it is where to go and RTFM.  I don't have any
Real
manuals but can find the virtual ones online.

When I try changing connect as to SYSOPER or SYSDBA I get "invalid
password/user name"

TIA -
          Arich H.

Author: Arich Henneman
  INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists