Hi,

I am a newbie to this OLAP area.

I have this table (company_dimension) where every company has a parent,
which in turn can be a child to another parent and so on. It is about 10
levels deep.

TEST@D0MARS> desc company_dimension
 Name                          Null?    Type
 ----------------------------- -------- --------------------------------
 COMPANY_CODE                  NOT NULL VARCHAR2(50) ---> primary key
 COMPANY_DESC                           VARCHAR2(100)
 PARENT_COMPANY_CODE                    VARCHAR2(50) ---> foreign key
pointing to company_code

The following table maintains the mobile phone numbers for every company.

TEST@D0MARS> desc DLY_TRANSACTION_DETAIL
 Name                           Null?  Type
 ------------------------------ ------ --------------------------------
 ACTIVITY_DATE                         DATE
 COMPANY_CODE                          VARCHAR2(10) ---> foreign key to the
company_dimension table
 MOBILE_NUMBER                         NUMBER(10)

The requirement is to get all the phone numbers for a given company and its
children for a given day. Since I cannot join these 2 tables using the
'connect by' clause, how can I accomplish it, without using a sub-query?
(actually 2 other dimensions play a role in the above table and I have
simplified the structure)

Created a dimension on the company_dimension table and used the
dbms_olap.validate_dimension procedure to validate it. Everything looks
good, but none of the manuals explains how to use the dimension in a query.

This is Oracle 8.1.7 on Sun Solaris.

Thanks in advance.

Prakash
Author: Bala, Prakash