Here I am under IT, or as we call it Techops.  I think that is a great
mistake, dba's should be under development, unless of course you're a
production dba.  My job, I am both, but since I am under Techops, there I a
big delay between when development starts on something, and when the dba is
involved, generally after the project is finished.  It has burned us many
times in the past, I have root access to the Unix database, and generally do
100% of the unix and oracle requirements, the SA generally works with the
Web Logic and web server boxes.

I think where you fit in the organization depends on which skills you bring
to the table and the job requirements are, I am very comfortable coding in
most languages and prefer to be on the development side of things, while a
great number prefer to be on the production side of things.

"Do not criticize someone until you walked a mile in their shoes, that way
when you criticize them, you are a mile a way and have their shoes."

Christopher R. Spence
Oracle DBA
Phone: (978) 322-5744
Fax:    (707) 885-2275