-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, 19 September 2001 11:55 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

They could have the same database name but different SIDs.  But I think
that you're right.  I think that he means SID.  They can have a different
ORACLE_HOME in the listner.ora file and a different connect siring in the
TNSNAMES.ORA file (along with a different ORACLE_HOME).  I'm not sure if
that would be enough to differentiate them though.  If you're in a UNIX
environment there's still the question of ORACLE_SID.

                    Nirmal Kumar

                    Muthu Kumaran        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L
                    <NIRMALK@qtel        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

                    .com.qa>             cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     RE: DB Names in
multiple oracle
                    root@fatcity.        installs

                    com

                    09/19/2001

                    07:18 AM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    ORACLE-L

You CANN'T(if not anyone correct me). Even if oracle home, version are
different, their SID name should be different.

I tested. I'm able to create two databases on one oracle server with
different SID, but at a time i can startup only one database.

REgards,
Nirmal.

Author: Nirmal Kumar  Muthu Kumaran

Author: Sujatha Madan