Following on from this, instead of using the query below, I
created a temporary table op_orders_arc which contained all the data I
wanted deleted from the main table (op_orders). I then run the following,
but the explain plan shows it doesn't use the index I have in the hint and
it still does a full table scan. Any suggestions please..>??

explain plan set statement_id='ords7' for
DELETE /*+ INDEX (olsr10.OP_ORDERS olsr10.MORD_PK) */ FROM OLSR10.OP_ORDERS
WHERE exists
 (select 1 from olsr10.op_orders_arc b
  where b.id = a.id
  and b.xmas_id = a.xmas_id)
;

Explain plan:
       0                 17270
  DELETE STATEMENT (choose)     Cost (17270,351857,10203853)

         1          0          1
    DELETE  OLSR10 OP_ORDERS

         2          1          1
      FILTER

         3          2          1
        PARTITION RANGE    (all)  Pt id: 3 Pt Range: 1 - 6

         4          3          1               1

          TABLE ACCESS (analyzed)  OLSR10 OP_ORDERS (full)  Pt id: 3 Pt
Range: 1
 - 6 Cost (17270,351857,10203853)

         5          2          2
        INDEX (analyzed) UNIQUE OLSR10 OPORD_IND (unique scan)  Cost (2,1,8)

PLease can some one give me some advice on tuning this query..

delete from olsr10.op_orders
where xmas_id in (193,207,245,300)
and order_total = 0
and status_timestamp < to_date ('01-aug-2001','dd-mon-yyyy')
/

The explain plan for this is is quite costly as it does a full table scan:
DELETE STATEMENT (choose)     Cost (8636,68,2176)

         1          0          1
    DELETE  OLSR10 OP_ORDERS

         2          1          1
      PARTITION RANGE    (inlist)  Pt id: 2 Pt Range: KEY(INLIST) -
KEY(INLIST)

         3          2          1               1
        TABLE ACCESS (analyzed)  OLSR10 OP_ORDERS (full)  Pt id: 2 Pt Range:
KEY
(INLIST) - KEY(INLIST) Cost (8636,68,2176)

Thanks in advance

Fawzia
This message is confidential and is intended for the addressee only; unless clearly
stated that this disclaimer should not apply, this e-mail is not intended to create
legally
 binding commitments on behalf of any company in the British Interactive Broadcasting
Holding Limited group, nor do its contents reflect the corporate views or policies of
any
such company. Any unauthorised disclosure, use or dissemination, either whole or
partial, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of the message, please
notify
the sender immediately.