Anjan,

First off, the answer to your question is to make sure that
REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE=EXCLUSIVE is set in the paramter file for your
DB and that you have used orapwd to create a (current) password file with
an appropriate password.  Then login as internal/that_secret_password or
as sys/your_sys_password and it should work fine.

Having just been through this, let me suggest STRONGLY that you abandon
this line of attack.  I had a Perl program that did exactly what you are
trying to do and woke up every 15 minutes to erase logfiles.  However --
and I'm not sure exactly how -- the database got updated before the actual
log was finished and the program deleted the logfile, causing me a lot of
grief since I didn't see it for some days and... well the story gets
pretty ugly from that point on.

Now, I use a program (also Perl) that parses the alert log and deletes
archive logs based on what is in the alert log.  It has worked very, very
nicely for the last month...

larry

Author: Larry Strickland