thanks, you sparked my memory, I KNEW I'd seen it somewhere :)

we had built a system where the users submitted the information they
wanted to select on through a form and we dynamically built the sql
statement. Since the program to build the statement always included
WHERE, by hard-coding WHERE 1=1 we were able to add the remainder of
the where clause as "AND ......". If there was nothing in the form, the
query still worked.

http://personals.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael