Jared,

Thanks for the reply.
I am passing a hardcoded date.
I am not getting a date from the
"date" command in ksh.

What my ksh does is retrieves $1 and must check if the date format
is in DD-MON-YY eg. 02-FEB-01.
It uses the hardcoded date (passed in as argument 1) in the script.
If the date is in another format other than above then it must exit.

Regards
Suhen

date +%d-%b-%Y

man date.

You may have to look at the man page on a system with more
recent documentation, such as linux.  The man page on
Solaris is incomplete.

JARed

                    Suhen Pather

                    <Suhen.Pather@strandba       To:     Multiple recipients
of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    gs.com.au>                   cc:

                    Sent by:                     Subject:     date format in
ksh
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    10/25/01 08:00 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

List,

Sorry to deviate from the topic, but

I am writing a korn shell script that would exit if the date format is

incorrect.

I just need something to compare the date format passed  in with
DD-MON-YYYY.

Eg.

I am passing an argument to my ksh script being the date.

If the date is in any other format but DD-MON-YYYY the ksh must exit.

Eg.  sh test.ksh 02/05/1999

It must exit.

The only format excepted should be

sh test.ksh 02-MON-YYYY