Title: RE: Base table of materialized views

I have a few questions that you can answer with by post of the snapshot creation command.  Also, the refresh type and any other relevant info. (i.e. snapshot log, etc.)

Tony Aponte

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2001 9:00 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: Base table of materialized views

I have posed this question to Oracle support and have yet to receive an
understandable answer, so I thought it best to ask the experts.

I used to run under 8.1.5 with compatibility set to 8.0.  Whenever I
created a snapshot I had an underlying table snap$_ that was the physical
table residing in Oracle.  This was great because it allowed me to alter
the data with DML when I needed to (believe me, I have my reasons!).

After upgrading to 8.1.6 I set compatibility to 8.1 so that I could take
advantage of the HTML generation from SQL and probably some other features
that I can't remember immediately.   There is no longer a SNAP$_ table, but
the materialized view is actually a table with the same name.  Even though
the object is listed as a table in the data dictionary, when I try to
perform DML I get an error stating that I can't update this view.

Oracle has taken away a feature that I have come to depend on.  Does anyone
know of a workaround for this problem?

Any insights would be appreciated.

Sherrie Kubis
Southwest Florida Water Management District
2379 Broad Street
Brooksville FL 34604-6899

Phone:  (352) 796-7211, Ext. 4033
Fax:     (352) 754-6776
Email:  Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051