Title: how to extract text from LONG field
hey all,

i'm in your typical situation of "we don't need a dba...oracle is an app so the bizapps guy can handle it"....right...now to reality.  there is a column in our database (oracle is the back end of our crm package) that is defined as a long and they want to do keyword searches on it.  i've found out that you can't use type long in a where clause.

i guess i have a few questions and i'm going to assume the answers (if anyone answers...please oh please do) will be a matter of opinion.  am i better off creating a new column in the existing table of the type clob or blob?  should i create a new table to store this data?  and what would be my best way to keep these columns in sync...every time someone updated the long column i would want my new column updated to reflect the change.

right now we're on 8.0.6/win 2k...but could upgrade to 8.1.7 (means upgrading our crm package too) if it makes this process easier.

thanks in advance for the help and not being a dba i hope what i wrote makes sense!

rich davidson
dynamicsoft Inc.
east hanover, nj

[EMAIL PROTECTED]