-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2001 10:55 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

My understanding the when you perform a "recover database using backup
controlfile", the stop SCN in the controlfile is set to infinity...
Therefore, you never "finish" media recovery since you never encounter the
stop SCN...  You can not simply cancel a "recover database using backup
controlfile" since Oracle is expecting you perform a complete recovery (
since your not using the UNTIL CANCEL/TIME/CHANGE ) and canceling a complete
recovery leaves the stop SCN in the controlfile at infinity...  Therefore,
the recovery is never complete and you will always receive the "needs media
recovery message"...  But, if you "recover using backup controlfile until
cancel" and then cancel, that is the signal to Oracle that your are
performing an incomplete recovery and the stop SCN in the controlfile is set
to the SCN you have recovered through...  At this point you can do an alter
open resetlogs to open the database ( as long as you have applied enough
logs to insure a consistent database )...

Tim