I had this EXACT problem yesterday when I was trying to build a new 9i DB.
My solution was to blow away all files associated with the new DB and to
build it again. I got the build to succeed by changing a line in init.ora
#remote_login_passwordfile=EXCLUSIVE
remote_login_passwordfile=NONE

HTH & YMMV!

--
Charlie Mengler                              Maintenance Warehouse
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                             10641 Scripps Summit Ct.
Author: Charlie Mengler