Sounds like you had better fess up and ask the user what it is ;-)

If you know ahead of time that this is what you want to do, there is an old
trick to change it and then change it back to the original when done. I just
tried it on 8.1.7 and it still works:

col password old_value pw10
select password from dba_users where username = upper('&1');

alter user &1 identified by temp1;

Open another sqlplus sessions and logon using temp1 as the password. When
you're done, change it back to the original password from the original
session:

alter user &1 identified by values '&pw10';
Mike

Author: Mike Killough