The two main benefit of lmt's are
-  the enforcement of a consistent extent size.
- avoiding issues with FET$ and UET$

Using migrate_to_local achieves the latter but not the
former.

hth
connor

 --- orantdba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Hi

> Any reason that this external consultant is not
> using the package
>
> dbms_space_admin.tablespace_migrate_to_local
> procedure  ??
>
> This would seem a much cleaner method of doing this
> than the method they
> are recommending.
>

>  From the plsql supplied reference.
>

>       TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL Procedure
>
> Use this procedure to migrate the tablespace from
> dictionary managed
> format to locally managed format. Tablespaces
> migrated to locally
> managed format are user-managed.
>

>         Syntax
>
> TABLESPACE_MIGRATE_TO_LOCAL(tablespace_name,
> allocation_unit, relative_fno)
>
> Hope this helps,
> John
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >I have just heard today that an external
> consultant, who is coming to
> >upgrade software for our Student Records system
> next week, wants to unload
> >the live, test and training databases, and recreate
> them using locally
> >managed tablespaces.
> >
> >I've been reading all the incredibly positive
> things oracle have to say
> >about this, but has anybody any real experience of
> using locally managed
> >tablespaces, and if so, are there any major
> disadvantages or knock-on
> >effects that I should be aware of?  Apart from
> trying to find disk space to
> >unload each database to do this, would it have any
> additional space
> >implications?
> >
> >Basically, I need to decide if I should let this go
> ahead.
> >
> >Heather

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=