Gene Gurevich wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> Is there a way for me to see how many blocks under
> the HWM are unused?
>
> thanks
>
> Gene
>
> =====

I once wrote something which was querying USER_EXTENTS, building for
each block a rowid to match row 1; the idea was to execute a SELECT to
get the corresponding row, and, in case of error (NOT no data found, I
can't remember the exact number) decide that the block was empty. I
first wrote this on Oracle 6 to find the HWM (there was no ANALYZE then)
by running a kind of dichotomic search. It was fast and reasonably
precise (in fact, much more than the first versions of ANALYZE ...
ESTIMATE). I guess that a variation on the same idea could be used in
your case.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult