One thing that jumps right out is 50% IO waits.

You need to find out which disk(s) are so overloaded.

Analyze the stats from v$filestat to see what's going
on at the database level.

Q:  Why is your SGA 2 gig, and how is it partitioned?

db_block_buffers:

shared_pool:
other pools:

Jared

                    "Post, Ethan"

                    <Ethan.Post@ps       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    .net>                cc:

                    Sent by:             Subject:     Excessive Paging - AIX Related?

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    om

                    12/20/01 10:35

                    AM

                    Please respond

                    to ORACLE-L

Sorry for the cross post if you are the other big list.

I am having some trouble finding a solution to a problem.  This is
specifically AIX related.  Here is the gist.

* Any large sort or import appears to cause paging to take place.  I only
say large because of the problems, in reality these are quite small objects
for the machine we are running, 200,000 - 600,000 rows in the 200-400 MB
range.  Any way last night I was importing one of these objects.

* CPU wio goes through the roof almost right away.  Spending up to 50% of
time waiting on IO.

* vmstat shows huge numbers in po, fr, sr and a few block processes in b
column.

* hdisk0 goes 100% (swap space is here)

* lsps -a shows swap space is only 40% utilized, never changes.  There is
only 2GB of swap, admin just increase to 4 GB but still on same disk.  Not
sure this will really help since it never was 100% anyway.

* Setup- RS/6000 7026-M80 rack mount running AIX with 4-500Mhz processors,
4GB memory, 3-10/100 Ethernet cards, 2 fiber ports, and 2-18.2GB internal
drives with RAID. The 2 fiber ports will attach to a storage area network
providing access to EMC Clarion storage (see below)

* Oracle is the only app on the box and I have configured about 2GB for the
SGA.  There should be plenty of free memory.

I am pretty sure we hosed something up with are memory configuration.  I
see
a lot of things about using vmtune to configure various AIC related
parameters as too how much memory is can use for various things.  Can
anyone
provide me with the direction to head in examining our configuration and
what settings should/could be changed to improve the situation?

Thanks,
Ethan Post

Author: Post, Ethan