Microsoft is trying to win a significant market share in the
database arena for years and could never get anywhere. I see much
more significant threat in MySQL and PosgresSQL because they are
rapidly gaining popularity. As a matter of fact, MySQL has approximately
as much of a market share as SQL Server and that is really disastrous
for the SQL Server.
There are two problems with the SQL server, besides the stability of the
underlying platform :

a) Lack of features (poor row level locking, lock escalation, Transact/SQL
                     being much, much weaker then PL/SQL, lack of support
                     for Java and objects, poor connectivity to anything
except
                     other Microsoft products, generally poor performance,
making it
                     possible for oracle to ridicule it with "challenges")
b) The fact that it runs on one platform only. If a company wants to have a
decently
   sized database, it is highly unlikely that NT 2000 will be the platform
of choice
   for such a server. HP 9000, SUN, RS6000 and AS400 are much more probable
solutions
   and guess what: SQL Server doesn't run on those. Unless there is an idiot
CIO willing
   to lock his company into a single-vendor solution without the slightest
possibility of
   changing platforms without having to sign a very big check, chances for
making a sale
   are virtually null. If there is such a CIO, then the company will wither
and die on it's
   own and is not a good client.

What are we panicking about? Microsoft is losing the server ground to Linux
and win XP
is allegedly the worst edition ever when it comes to stability and security.
Microsoft
has been found a monopoly and a remedy has yet to be decided. A rumor mill
trying the
usual FUD tactics has failed to work before and will fail again. Oracle will
probably
lower the prices and once again increase the market share. I've been reading
about Microsoft
winning on the database market for a 5 or 6 years by now and, so far,
Microsoft hasn't even
been able to significantly threaten oracle dominance.