If you do happen to need each part of the result set ordered
individually, you can do something like the following:

SELECT 1,A,B,C FROM TABLEABC
UNION
SELECT 2,D,E,F FROM TABLEDEF
ORDER BY 1,2

Bizarre as it may seem, I've used this technique to good
effect many times in the past. Basically, I once worked on a
a set of reports where I had to return all results in one
query (tool limitation) and I need to generate different
"sections" in a single report. To do that, I used the
technique above.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] * 906.387.1698