Oh, how I've missed these discussions between bittet, old men and women :).

Usually people just ARE more productive with linemode or text based applications compared to GUI and webstuff. It could - theoretically - be connected to the response times of the applications and the need constantly to move your hands away from the keyboard :-).

I recently reviewed a couple of Oracle Apps Release 11i sites after they upgraded from 10.7 (text based) and the people who really needed to type in lots of stuff during the day (Order Entry, Acconts Rec., etc.) saw their productivity go way down. The coming years should see a huge need for people who can create fast forms where you don't need to take your hands off the keyboard, don't need to see fancy drop-down, pull-up and pull-sideways menues. Line Mode Men vs. Gui Girls. It's gonna be a tough battle... and the winners will be people who can use various interfaces in order to provide fast, basic functionality to fancy ERP and other product types.

Mogens

Eric D. Pierce wrote:
http://www.oracle.com/corporate/investor_relations/news/index.html?history.html

"1993 Moves character mode applications to the
client/server model "

----------------

(free registration required:)

http://otn.oracle.com/products/designer/pdf/50426.pdf

-

http://otn.oracle.com/products/designer/pdf/18585.pdf

-

http://otn.oracle.com/products/designer/content.html

-

----------------

Oracle product naming/versioning history is a
legendary mes s.

Designer/2000, and Developer/2000, which came out
around 1997(?) were "v1" or "v2".

They were compatible with Forms4 and Forms5.

Designer 6i is "v6".

fwiw, *Developer*/2000 only runs on Win98 or NT4
(can't use on Windows2000).

It might be the same for Designer/2000.

See http://www.odtug.com ,
http://www.odtug.com/subscrib.htm

ORACLE-L Digest -- Volume 2002, Number 016