> Environment NT4
> 4Gb RAM
> Page Filesize 4.5Gb
> Oracle Version 8.0.5.1.1
>
> We have recently been experiencing intermittent TNS-12500 Listener
> unable to create a dedicated server process
> messages. It does occur when we have around 300 + processes, but even
> then it appears hit and miss.
> It has all the hallmarks of being a resource problem, but none of the
> measurements at time of error(s) seem to
> bear this out. Once the processes count is reduced ever so slightly,
> the problem goes away !
>
> Peak memory usage : - Just over 2Gb
> Oracle Process memory usage max - approx 1.7 Gb
> Max Oracle Processes - 318
> Initialization Parm - Processes = 500
>
> Before I start tracing the listener, I thought I'd ask this list for
> any ideas.
>
> regards..../Bob

Bob,

   Seems to me clear enough. When you are at the limit, it's just a
question of one process disappearing to allow another one to take its
place. The place to search is the NT system error log. The easy answer
would be 'migrate to Unix and use MTS', but perhaps that some NT tuning
may help in taking you past the limit you are hitting. But I am totally
incompetent on NT and cultivating my incompetence.

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Ltd