Title: RE: Export 7.3.4 / Import 8.1.7?
Trial and error... <cough> <roll eyes upward>

We have migrated a couple of development databases.

Things to watch out for:

Oracle says replication-related objects are not handled "very well" by export / import.  We haven't encountered any problems in that regard, but all the snapshots had been turned off before the full export.

SYS and SYSTEM objects are not included in the full export, so any public synonyms, anything referring to objects stored in there will be invalid or point to <Unknown> objects.

If you have users with objects stored in the SYSTEM schema, kiss them bye bye.  Ironically we noticed that the default accounts (for the demo db) in one 7.3.4. database were stored in SYSTEM.  We don't need those accounts so we removed them.

The Web Development Toolkit is included in 8.1.7 by default, it is placed in the SYS schema as a built-in package.  On our databases here only one user was using the toolkit, so he had installed it in his own schema.  Now we have two copies in the new database, with public synonyms pointing to the SYS schema.

Ensure you use the same character set for both.

Double-check everything -- take an inventory of what is in your database, what is valid / invalid, etc. in the first database, then run that test again on the new one, and compare the results.

Ensure you run the same /rdbms/admin scripts in the new database as you did in the old one, before you do your migration.

Change Manager is a useful tool, to a degree -- with OEM 2.2. on NT there are bugs / shortcomings in it.  My list so far:
-- the JVM screen properties go beserk after a while, but it doesn't appear to affect the final results.  Just leave the screen alone, and if you see an error save the reports BEFORE you acknowledge the error.
-- it is extremely slow if you don't run it from the OEM console,
-- it doesn't verify whether packages have body text in them,
-- it does not log constraint name changes, esp. SYS_C#### names
-- I am not sure, I think it doesn't log the number of constraints per table either.

One amazing thing is that some objects that were invalid in the old database are valid in the new one.  Hopefully these old objects were invalid only because someone had altered a parent object...

They tightened up the code in 8i, some of the shortcuts that were used in the older version by developers will result in invalid objects in the new version.

8i doesn't prevent people from writing code that doesn't explicitly specify the schema.

run utlrp.sql from /rdbms/admin before you do your comparisons.

If others know of other shotcomings, or ideas, please let me know.

Regards,
Patrice Boivin
Systems Analyst (Oracle Certified DBA)

Systems Admin & Operations | Admin. et Exploit. des systèmes
Technology Services        | Services technologiques
Informatics Branch         | Direction de l'informatique
Maritimes Region, DFO      | Région des Maritimes, MPO