Its like one of the most common arguments against raw.
 "Don't use raw since a sysadmin might mistakenly
create a file system over the top of it"...

... I've always thought thats an argument against
having a shoddy sysadmin rather than not using raw :-)

 --- Mogens Nørgaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > One
of the funnier arguments for raw I heard a year
> ago was this (from a
> DBA): "I always use raw files, because it makes it
> highly unlikely that
> anybody will delete a datafile by accident, since
> it's so hard to get
> rid of raw devices." :-).
>
> Dejam, Ruth wrote:
>
> >I had responded to Witold privately but it seems
> that people want more so
> >here goes:
> >
> >We went raw with our production billing system a
> few months ago
> >because the vendor told damagement that it would be
> faster.  We also
> >converted our failover and testing environments
> because we do some
> >combination of SRDFs and BCVs of the production
> system (we are an HP shop).
> >FWIW, each of these monsters is a 2.4T OLTP
> database.
> >
> >Their code was crappy in a cooked database, and
> unbelievable as
> >it may seems, performs slightly less crappy in a
> raw database.
> >
> >We have few SAs and DBAs that have ever worked with
> raw devices.
> >Despite excellent documentation, configuring aio
> was *challenging*.
> >The lack of experience has also given us ample
> opportunity to practice
> >backups and restores.
> >
> >The good news is that our failover has worked
> flawlessly.  :)
> >
> >The upshot is yes, we've gotten slight performance
> gains.  Can you imagine
> >what would happen if we tuned the code, make a few
> database architectural
> >changes, etc?  In the meantime, it was easier and
> faster to go raw rather
> >than fix the code.  Add in the poor resources and
> you have a weiner!
> >
> >My personal opinion is that we will not realize
> enough gains to justify
> >going raw.  I imagine it's only a matter of time
> before our business grows
> >enough to bring the system to a screeching halt
> again.  By them we will have
> >implemented yet another version or 2 and will not
> be able to figure out
> >exactly what to do.  I guess, at that time, we can
> >
> >It was probably done for the vendor's own job
> security and most of our
> >management is totally clueless.  For me personally,
> it's been great because
> >I'm one of 3 DBAs here who have worked with raw
> before so I have more things
> >to play with now.
> >
> >If you decide to go this route, make sure your SAs
> and DBAs are educated and
> >careful and get thyself some good backup software.
> >
> >You can check out past discussions about raw vs
> cooked at
> >http://www.fatcity.com/ListGuru/login.php
> >
> >hth,
> >~Ruth
> >
> >Ruth Dejam
> >Senior Oracle DBA
> >VoiceStream Wireless
> >
> >Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are
> [...]

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=