if you did a shutdown of the database, and then do a startup mount, you
don't actually HAVE to take the tablespace offline, as the database
isn't open and technically it isn't online.

If you want to live dangerously, you can do this while the database is
open for business. Then yes, you'd need to take the tablespace offline.

In either case, the syntax for the rename itself is:

alter database rename file
     '<full path specification of the old filename>'
   to '<full path specification of the new filename>';

Once that is done, you copy the datafile over to where you actually
want it via OS commands, then either alter database open or alter
tablespace online depending on which way you've done it.

Immediately do a "alter database backup controlfile to trace" and as
soon as possible afterwards, do a backup, just to be safe

http://auctions.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael