I agree we need to look at both. Depends on the shop you work in if you
can though. Where I've been the SAs hold tuning of the OS close, and I
can work WITH them but can't effect changes on my own. so I concentrate
on the database.

Besides, I've always found it much more effective if I go to the SA
with a list of all the steps I've taken to ensure that the problem is
not with the database. That and I *never* say "your stuff is broken"
but rather "I have a problem, this is what I've done to find it, can
you help me"

seems to work much better that way.

=== message truncated ===

http://auctions.yahoo.com