Hi Prem,

If you want to use des to encrypt and decrypt you have to pad the data to
multiples of 8 byte ( i.e. fill the missing bytes with zero).
IMHO using symetric encryption to protect passwds is dangerous

Alex Apostolopoulos
WebTechnology & Smart Card Solutions

Secartis AG-eSolutions by Giesecke & Devrient
Bretonischer Ring 3, D-85630 Grasbrunn, Germany

Phone: +49(0)89 4119-7086, Fax: +49(0)89 4119-7403
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Home: www.secartis.com
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|
|                        |   Prem J Khanna        |                        |
|                        |   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>|           An:          |
|                        |   Gesendet von:        |   Multiple recipients  |
|                        |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |   of list ORACLE-L     |
|                        |                        |   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|                        |   08.02.2002 15:08     |   >                    |
|                        |   Bitte antworten an   |           Kopie:       |
|                        |   ORACLE-L             |                        |
|                        |                        |           Thema:       |
|                        |                        |   Help !! Password     |
|                        |                        |   Encryption/decryption|
|                        |                        |   ??                   |
|------------------------+------------------------+------------------------|

Hello everybody ,

I am on 8.1.6/NT .

i need to encrypt / decrypt the password of my users for my web based
application.
I went thro' DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT.DESEncrypt and
DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT.DESDecrypt methods .
but as per the docs , this package  requires the password ( which is to
be encrypted ) to be
in multiples of 8 bytes .  i don't think this is possible always .

have i understood anything wrong ?   can anyone throw some light on this

how do u guys encounter this situation ? any likely scripts plz ?!!!

TIA.
Jp.

Author: Prem J Khanna
 INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051
San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists