----- Original Message -----

> Ok, what I need is to find a cookbook for setting up a web server
> to serve up Java applets that can connect to multiple databases.
> I have an HP workstation with 8.1.7 loaded, with the Apache web
> server, but I have no clue about how to a) serve up a Java applet,
> and b) let it connect to a database that is not on the local machine.
> I'm using JDeveloper 3.2.

a) the server does not care it's serving applets, they're regular files for
it

what's important is the APPLET tag on the web processed on the client side

b) the steps should more or less look like:

1. package your applet classes in a jar
2. put the applet jar and the oracle jdbc driver jar in the same directory
3. set the APPLET tag in the html page the clients will load - pay attention
to the ARCHIVE option that should describe both jars

if not illegal and if u know how to do it, u may extract only these classes
from the oracle jdbc jar that are relevant to the thin driver and ignore the
rest in order to reduce the size of the jar the client should load

if the oracle server and the web server are on different machines then u may
need to deal with the security settings for the applet

more info -

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/applet/index.html

"Oracle9i JDBC Developer's Guide and Reference" - Sample Applications -
Sample Applet
(http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/java.901/a90211/sam
app.htm#1023471)

same book, "Advanced Topics" - JDBC in Applets -
http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/java.901/a90211/adva
nc.htm#1022221

hth,

    Marin

----
"...what you brought from your past, is of no use in your present. When
you must choose a new path, do not bring old experiences with you.
Those who strike out afresh, but who attempt to retain a little of the
old life, end up torn apart by their own memories. "

Author: Marin Dimitrov