> "How you plan the Database sizing for a given application?"

     Ramesh,

      They may have been looking for a more obvious response, like starting with the
type of
    application rather than its size; I'm familiar with transaction processing systems
(ie, an ATM)
    and decision support systems (mainly read only quering systems).  It appears to me
the way they
    phrased the question is that they are trying to find out your step-by-step process
of deciding on the
    required space for an application, so this may not be a direct answer such as
referring to the tablespace syntax.
    However, I agree with your logic, and Bjorn's reply because there are several
factors and
    I/O efficiency is one of them.  Just my 2 cents.

       HTH,

      David Harris
  Web Technology
  Verizon Communications

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@fatcity.com on 02/14/2002 04:58:21 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent by:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:    Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

Bjørn
What you say is true. Now my question is What should be the answer to the
question "How you plan the Database sizing for a given application?". I
faced
it in a DBA interview. I did mention about the requied tablespaces, storage
parameters etc depending on Application size. Am I missing something?
Seniors, please advice.

Regards,
Ramesh D Papnoi
Oracle DBA @ Chemtex Global Engineers Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai, India
(BrainBench & Brainbuzz Certified Oracle 8/8i DBA & Developer)
http://www22.Brinkster.com/rpapnoi

---------- Original Text ----------

To: internet["Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]

Ramesh,

I presume you are looking for something to tell you how to configure a
database server, and such a thing does not exist.  Period.

The real answer is, that this is far too application dependent, and that
only the application developers can provide anything of this kind.  And
even in this case, such configuration guides are often more misleading
than guiding.  There have been attempts at making rules like "this
application is like X tpc-c transactions", but they also fail to be of
any actual value.

Also, if what you really were looking for was something to tell you the
size (in GB) of the required disk to store schema with a certain
definition, you could create some rough estimates.  However, with todays
typical disksizes, you run out of spindles much before you run out of GB.

Thanks, Bjørn.

Author: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F8rn?= Engsig