From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 7:54 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: (no subject)

I'm a student dba'r running 9i on windows xp.  I have created a second database (database name=bill, instance name = bill).  After I first created it, I tried to mount it after shutting down the installation seed  database (database name = orcl, instance name = orcl).  I kept getting the message 'cannot mount database in exclusive mode'.  After several attempts to get out of exclusive mode, I gave up.  The next night, without making any changes,  I tried again and this time I was sucessful in mounting the bill database.  I created a data tablespace (data) and  four tables which I populated.  Then  I queried the database name from v$database and got the response 'bill'.  Next I queried the instance name from v$instance and got 'orcl' when I should have gotten 'bill'.  I double checked the database name and again got 'bill'.&nbs! ! p; How can this be?  But the real problem is that when I tried to mount the database bill again tonight, I again got the message ''cannot mount database in exclusive mode'.  I can't find an explanation for this in the book.  I tried to startup nomount using the 'bill' pfile which showed an idel instance started. Then I tried to issue the alter database mount parallel command but it comes back with the 'cannot mount database in exclusive mode'.  When I then query the instance_name from v$instance I get orcl instead of bill.  Can any one help me out?
Thanks!
Bill Johnson