-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2002 8:58 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Yes, the SPFILE is stored in binary format in the database, but you can
sort of work around it.  To create a text file from the SPFILE, you can
issue:

        CREATE PFILE 'pfilename' FROM SPFILE 'filename';

And vice versa with:

        CREATE SPFILE = 'filename' FROM PFILE = 'pfilename';

When starting the instance, you can also specify an alternate SPFILE:

        SQL> startup pfile=filename

There's also some new syntax for the ALTER SYSTEM command to specify the
scope of the change:

        ALTER SYSTEM set parameter = value SCOPE = MEMORY | SPFILE |
BOTH;

Rich Holland
Guidance Technologies, Inc.

[...]
> during the discussion on database management it was revealed that init

> files are on the way out, probably in 9i version 2.  Their being
replaced
> by an SF file that is humanly unreadable and consequently
unmodifiable.

Author: Deshpande, Kirti