Group,
I realize that this is not a direct Oracle question, but we are moving
(inching) toward all Oracle databases and there are a lot of smart people
who will have some very good ideas.

The organization I work for has several stovepipe applications. All are on a
database of some flavor. In converting over to a database system some
applications merely converted COBOL flat files over to an Oracle table and
modified their COBOL programs to manipulate the data. There has been two
edicts given:
1)      The stovepipe applications will go through a redesign and use at a
minimum Oracle 8i as their database.
2)      The organization will move toward an Organization Data Store (ODS).

The first initiative has not gotten under way but I have been asked to come
up with data standards(?) for the ODS. One thought that occurs to me is that
we need a standard way to model each local data store, ie. Erwin, Designer
2000. Once each local data store has started to capture their design, a
group at the ODS level can start an analysis to start building an ODS
logical data model and also act as an honest broker/devil's advocate to
resolve differences between the local data stores.

Comments, articles, PLEASE.

Thanks

Al Rusnak
804-734-8453