Your best best is to quantify this mathematically. Take the following
example:
Case 1: 100GB table, one extent
Case 2: 100GB table, 1000 extents

Assume:
    a) track to track seeks are 'free'
    b) random seeks are 20ms
    c) Block size is 16KB
    d) db_file_multiblock_read_count=16
    e) multiblock read time=8.6ms (29MB/s conservative for 10k drives)
    f) total # reads=409600
    g) one drive only (a very big one...)

Case1:
Time for FTS= 409600*8.6ms=3522s (~ 1 hour)

Case2:
Time for FTS= 3522s (as above) PLUS 1000*20ms= 20s - TOTAL=3542s

The difference is minor in this case (0.5% greater elapsed time) and
1000 extents would put each at ~100MB in this case. If you had <cue Dr.
Evil voice> 1 million extents, it would be a different story - about
668% longer...

Hope that helps - there's an infinite number of shades of grey, so it's
important to do the math!
Regards

James

--