Bill,

In addition to the many excellent suggestions, may I also suggest generating
adequate number of histograms and using them by using literals instead of
bind variables (horrors!). You may also want to look at 9i - the CBO therein
looks at the value of the bind variables prior to parsing and can thus use
histograms. This was one of the drawbacks of Histograms that seems to have
been addressed in 9i. (Would any of the Guru's please confirm this? I don't
have access to a 9i instance to test out :(

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve
Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely
available!

** The opinions and statements above are entirely my own and not those of my
employer or clients **

Author: John Kanagaraj