Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> So - when you get to that tricky query which
> looks as if it could be unnested, but you can't
> quite figure out how, maybe all you need to
> do is turn:
>     select
>     from
>     where
>                  ..... (select colx
>                           from ....
>                         where ...
>                 )
>
> into
>     select
>     from
>     where
>                  ..... (select /*+ unnest */ colx
>                           from ....
>                         where ...
>                 )
>
> and if Oracle can unnest the query, Oracle
> will unnest the query;

Jonathan, beware, you are sowing urban legends of your own. I think that
if you can't figure out how to unnest, you'd rather try harder or
subcontract to somebody else. You know like me that most applications
currently running started development with Oracle 7 or Oracle 6, but for
those which were migrated from Oracle 5 or earlier. Which means that
today's developments will probably last till Oracle 12 or beyond. I
wouldn't bet on the future of hints, when you see how few (documented)
init.ora parameters have survived since the early times. I appreciate
the magical hint as much as anybody, especially in the hit-and-run kind
of consulting assignment. But when you rely on hints or init.ora
parameters for performance at some critical sections, you're taking a
risk from a development (as opposed to crisis tuning) point of view.
When the next Oracle release is applied, I am ready to bet that the
folks who will try to solve the performance problem then (long after the
departure of the initial developers), under stress and in a stormy
atmosphere will spend much more time that those lazy programmers would
have in the first place. Moreover, I am not sure that everybody makes a
difference, even on this list, between 'I cannot figure out how to
unnest, let's add a hint' and 'I cannot figure out how to remove
duplicates, let's add a DISTINCT'.

As far as urban legends are concerned, I don't think that _all_ deserve
the scorn which has been heaped on them so far. There are some fallacies
which are such only because they are taken as an absolute truth. Some
may be true 80% of the time, which is not that bad, and most may be
idiotic but innocuous (granted, that's when you come to problem solving
that you are lost). Of course taking first degree approximations for the
ultimate truth is wrong, but as long as you stay on the straight and
narrow path ... Newtonian mechanics has it flaws, but in any case was
enough for sending men to the Moon.

My 0.02 euros.
--
Regards,