(512)327-9068

Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 9:59 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Operating System: Windows NT 4.0 with SP 6a
Oracle Version :     8.1.7

We recently migrated an Oracle database from one Windoze NT box to another.
The NT administrators claim that the NT boxes are indentical in all
respects, except that the old one had Service Pack 4. We have recreated the
database on the new box with exactly indentical initialization paremeters,
file sizes, extent sizes, et all.

The database gleefully accepts all connections upto about 220 users
(V$license, v$session). When the 221st user tries to logon, the TNS-12500:
Unable to start a dedicated server process is thrown. After all the
troubleshooting (Connect timeouts, Disable otracing, tracing client), we
discovered that as soon as the Virtual memory comes approaches 1.7Gb, this
problem starts happening. I read articles on Metalink which suggested that
this is a limitation with Windows NT, and suggests some recommendation to
delay this problem.

So, we recommended the same to business. But now they wish to know why
these errors never occured in the old NT server. And to further worsen
matters, the old server has been cleaned up. So, I have no way of going
back and Checking.

Has anyone else on this list encountered the same problem? Possible
workarounds, if any?

Thanks
Raj

Author: Jack C. Applewhite