Looking at Raj's post I seem to have made at
least two errors in my original reply - the size of the
varchar2s in the dbms_sql array and the question
of whether a varchar2 can be 32K, 32,000 bytes,
or 4,000 bytes in pl/sql.  Perhaps there are a couple
of version-dependent details that need to be checked.

Having said that, when you say the error is

    | I get an exception and the error is:  sqlstr _IS_NULL_

what exactly is reporting the error in that format;
it doesn't appear to be a normal exception message,
and isn't one of the standard exceptions.

I have tried to reproduce your problem, but only have
8.1.7.3. If the sql_str variable is declared large enough
to hold the incoming string it works as expected, if the
variable is larger than the declared length of the variable
the error is the usual PL/SQL 6502 numeric or value error.

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar - UK, April 3rd - 5th

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Author: Jonathan Lewis