I have the good fortune? of creating two new databases on two Windows
2000 servers. I am familiar with Oracle on Solaris, but have no clue
about Windows 2000. I have installed Oracle release 8.1.7 and have
upgraded it to release 8.1.7.3. As part of the install I created the
demo database on both servers. All seemed fine.

I then created scripts to create a second database on one of the
servers. I have not run these scripts yet. I now cannot connect to the
demo database using sqlplus. I got an error message (I forgot to write
down the error number) saying that my NLS parameter was not set or
invalid. In HK_LOCAL_MACHINE the parameter is set to:
NLS_LANG:AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1. I could connect to this database
from my other server.

In my wisdom? I decided to reboot the server and see what happens. Now I
get the message on startup:
Could not start ORACLEORAHOME81AGENT service on local computer
error 3221356553.

I cannot start the service manually. I cannot connect to the demo
database from either server. I get the message ORA-01033: ORACLE
initialization or shutdown in progress. I assume this has to do with the
oracle agent service not starting.

What should my NLS parameter be? What can I do to start the oracle agent
service? Should there be a ORA_NLS33 parameter in the settings?

Thank you for any help.

Blake Wilson
begin:vcard
n:Wilson;Blake