> the instructor explained that... the functionality is limited to
> performing disk backups

If that's the case then something has changed. What I did before on HPUX/O8i
was backup directly to tape (DAT) via RMAN/Legato. I used this "free"
solution for over a year and did lots of backups and even a few recoveries.

The limited edition Legato that came on the Oracle CD merely worked on
system tape drives on the same host as your database. To use tape drives in
a cabinet over the network you need to get "Legato Networker." Then all your
database clients can backup to one large backup server. At least that was my
understanding.

Steve