Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 1:21 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

CPU pricing for enterprise edition is $15k per CPU.

$40k is undoubtedly with a number of options, advanced replication,
partitioning, ...

Jared

DENNIS WILLIAMS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
04/08/02 07:08 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: RE: Oracle vs. MS SQL

Gene - The $40K is the Enterprise Edition pricing as I recall. Can you
move
to Standard Edition? If you are using EE features, then chances are that
MS
SQL won't do the job. Also you can point out the eWeek benchmark between
Oracle and MS SQL.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 6:23 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

OK, timing is impeccable.  My boss just got the Oracle Bill, new licensing
model $40k per processor for web based apps and flipped.  I have some
MSCE's
working here pushing him to switch to SQL*server.  Does anyone know where
can find reasons to stay w/ Oracle?  Some things already mentioned here,
but
the MSCE's would say this list is bias, go figure :)

Does SQLServer 2000 support blobs, row level locking, etc?

Thanks,
Gene
PS. Do I move on to another Oracle shop or switch to SQLserver?  OMG, the
thought of working only on windoze makes me puke.  I know this answer!

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/05/02 14:11 PM >>>
There are some technical points worth considering.
For example, SQL Server does not have true row level
locking.  It's table level locking, or some really
creative SQL to fake it.  This has a direct impact on
scalability and performance.

=====
Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator