But the original poster was referring to a truncate

... aka Enron using your metaphor :-)

Cheers
Connor

 --- Ron Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > Good
point Robert,
>  The reason the index space still exists after a lot
> of deletes is the
> method the index is stored in the database. very
> similar to the old
> organization chart of a large corporation. If you
> eliminate all of the
> people between the CEO and the janitor you still
> have the multiple
> levels displayed on the chart. The may be vacant and
> just pointers to
> the next lower level but the still exist on the
> chart. Indexes are
> stored the same way. One block points to the next
> and so forth from the
> top to the bottom. Remove all of the data between
> the two and the "path"
> from the top to the bottom still exists thus the
> index storage is still
> used. If you export the data, truncate the table and
> import the data the
> "path becomes top-to-bottom one step and the old
> index storage area is
> freed up. The janitor then reports directly to the
> CEO.
> Ron
> ROR mª¿ªm

> There is not a HWM indicator for an index as there
> is for a table.
> When a truncate occurs, the blocks are cleared in
> the index and the
> extents (beyond the initial extent) are deallocated
> (assuming you do
> not
> issue the reuse storage clause).
>
> RF

=====
Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

http://uk.my.yahoo.com
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Connor=20McDonald?=