It's been a while since I actually worked on a AS400
but from my understanding, DB2 is integrated into
OS400, the operating system for the AS400.

In the System/36 and System/38 worlds, you used RPG
and a bunch of other utilities to create your programs
and files.  The files were flat files and I think when
AS400 came out, this concept was still in place except
now the files were stored in a database - DB2.

I have seen one application on an AS400.  There was no
RI, no procs or triggers.  The application had its
roots in a System/36 system and had been re-written
for the AS400.  All the logic was in the app and DB2
just stored the data.

Yes, you can run a utility (strsql I think) that
brings up a screen and you can query the tables stored
in the database using plain SQL.  You can also bypass
the app and directly insert/update/delete data aswell.

hth

mkb

--- Jay Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://taxes.yahoo.com/