performance ?

>From what I read on this list, the growth of my tables is very small
compared
to some of the other org's, so maybe staying with dictionary-managed would
be
best, except for the temporary tablespace.

Darren.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: April 15, 2002 3:58 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Darren - Do you have to reorganize the vendor's files now? The objective of
LMT's is to make Oracle more self-managing (you know, so the MS SQL people
can't say it takes a lot more DBA time to manage the database). To me in
your situation, the bottom line is whether you have to spend quite a bit of
time reorganizing those files today. If the answer is "no", then LMT's
probably aren't going to help you much. If the answer is "yes", then that
gives you some opportunity try something with their files, since you are
doing that anyway. The key point is whether you know how the vendor's
software interfaces with Oracle. If you have to reorg quite a bit, then I am
confident you know that interface well (otherwise you are jeopardizing the
data). If the vendor has made it pretty automated (management of the data),
then you probably aren't that familiar with the details of how the vendor
accomplishes that, and shouldn't mess with their stuff. I apologize for
being wordy here, but maybe you can see my point.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 4:33 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I am looking into locally managed tablespaces, have done some research, and
have a basic
understanding of how they work, but I am unsure about the benefits if any
for my environment.

I have multiple instances running, one for each application.  In some cases
these apps just have two tablespaces, data and index.

If I have a tablespace that is composed of tables that are various sizes and
activity, will LMT help or hinder ?

I have read the paper about creating tablespaces based on extent size,
which is the concept
I would follow,  but I am unsure how the vendor(s) would feel if I re-org'd
their database(s).

Thanks

Darren
Darren Browett P.Eng                                            This message
was transmitted
Data Administrator                                              using 100%
recycled electrons
Information and Communication Technology
City of Coquitlam
P:(604)927 - 3614
E:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Author: Browett, Darren