Beth, Dennis,

The 8.1.7 docs say that DB_Block_Checking costs 1%-10% in overhead - the 10%
end for periods of intense insert/update activity - and to turn it on if you
can afford it.  DB_Block_Checksum costs 1%-2% and Oracle recommends turning
it on always.

We've had both turned on for months (340GB 8.1.7.3.0 DB under Win2k) and not
noticed any significant performance hit.  We insert and index (interMedia
Text) up to 280,000 documents each night, so our insert/update load is not
trivial.

Having those two checks going on makes me feel more secure.  We've never
gotten so much as a warning, so we've not needed it.  However, like any kind
of insurance (e.g., backups), as long as it doesn't cost too much, aren't
you glad to pay to leave it unused?   ;-)

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA